Note: As a diehard Monk/Natalie shipper, I’ve decided to relive the series by highlighting some of the best moments between the two characters. Season 8 was arguably the strongest of the series in terms of Monk and Natalie’s developing relationship. No, we didn’t get the hoped-for ending, but almost every single episode featured some kind of hugging, touching, flirting, banter, or other fun/cute/shippy scenes between the two. I’m listing my favorites chronologically because Mr. Monk wouldn’t want it any other way!
Episode 8×01 — “Mr. Monk’s Favorite Show”: This episode ranks among the top 5 of the series from a shipper POV, in my opinion. When I think about Monk and Natalie’s relationship development from, say, “Cobra” in Season 3, scenes like the one where she eats page 73 really stick out. Natalie eating a chunk of paper to protect Monk or Monk reaching into her back pocket and grabbing/holding her wrist to try to get to page 73 never could have happened back then.
- (0:14) — The opening bit was funny, with Monk not wanting to be last in line (out of two) and telling Natalie that he was “barely fixated” with Christine Rapp before admitting to his obsession.
- (4:20) — Natalie laughing at Monk being so excited about meeting Christine Rapp. “You know what, Mr. Monk, I’m actually glad we came. I really am. I have never seen you this excited about anything.” He was so excited that he kept tapping, pushing, and even playfully punching Natalie to get her attention during his trivia contest with the next fan in line.
- (6:25) — “Oh, my god! Oh, my god! Oh. my. god.” Natalie’s reaction to Christine’s book was hilarious, especially after Randy got into it. “It’s filthy!” “That’s gotta be a typo.” “Cheech. Chong. Cheech and Chong.” “Why is there an asterisk next to Bob Denver?” So many great quotes from them (and the first mention of page 73, too).
- (7:37) — Monk and Natalie shaking hands with Christine Rapp. Monk: “Why are you wiping?” Natalie: “I’ll tell you later.” Because she knows where those hands have been, that’s why!
- (19:19) — “Oh, my god. Oh, my god. Oh, my god!” Monk’s reaction to the book mirrors Natalie’s almost exactly.
- (19:56) — Monk, about something in Christine’s book: “What is that?” Natalie: “I don’t know.” Monk: “Thank you for not knowing.” Natalie: “You’re welcome.” The best part of this exchange was how Natalie said “I don’t know” in a tone that clearly implied she’d been thinking about it ever since she read it with Randy in the parking lot.
- (20:12) — “There’s a page missing. Page 73.” LOVE what happens here!!! (Pictured above.)
- (25;45) — Natalie comes into the room to give Monk a surprise alert, but that’s not enough for him. He insists on a surprise alert warning, which she complies with before bringing out Monk’s favorite childhood snack (10 round crackers and a glass of apple juice with one ice cube) and DVDs of The Cooper Clan.
- (41:08) — The tag with Natalie saying that she, Julie, the captain, and Randy are Monk’s family now (pictured below). Plus, the knock-knock joke that never got off the ground because Monk didn’t know he was supposed to reply, “Who’s there?”