Two new movies bumped off last year’s top earner, Resident Evil: Extinction, to knock the video game-based franchise down to third place this week. Taking over at No.1 was the Disney family comedy The Game Plan, starring Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock. This film about a star football quarterback whose life gets interrupted by a daughter he never knew he had earned a strong $22.7 million in wide release.
Second place went to the Jamie Foxx/Jennifer Garner thriller The Kingdom, which grossed an estimated $17.7 million in ticket sales. Although this film has gotten mixed reviews, I’d still like to see it since Garner is one of my favorite stars (from her run on Alias).
Here’s what the complete Top 10 looked like:
- The Game Plan, $22.7 million
- The Kingdom, $17.7 million
- Resident Evil: Extinction, $8 million
- Good Luck Chuck, $6.3 million
- 3:10 to Yuma, $4.2 million
- The Brave One, $3.8 million
- Mr. Woodcock, $3 million
- Eastern Promises, $2.9 million
- Sydney White, $2.7 million
- Across the Universe, $2.05 million