Fast & Furious, the fourth installment in the franchise about illegal street racing, beat the rest of the box office competition by a mile. The return of original stars Vin Diesel and Paul Walker helped propel Fast & Furious to a whopping $72.5 million weekend gross, more than doubling that of the second-place film.
Last weekend’s champ, the animated 3-D adventure Monsters vs. Aliens, slipped to No.2 with $33.5 million in ticket sales. This film has already broken the $100 million plateau in just 10 days of wide release.
The only other new release to crack the list was Adventureland, a comedy from Greg Mottola — better known as the writer/director of Superbad. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Adventureland didn’t open in the same neighborhood as Superbad, managing to drum up just $6.01 million in revenue thus far.
Here’s the complete Top 10 at the box office for the weekend ending 4/5/09:
- Fast & Furious, $72.5 million
- Monsters vs. Aliens, $33.5 million
- The Haunting in Connecticut, $9.55 million
- Knowing, $8.13 million
- I Love You, Man, $7.85 million
- Adventureland, $6.01 million
- Duplicity, $4.3 million
- Race to Witch Mountain, $3.35 million
- 12 Rounds, $2.3 million
- Sunshine Cleaning, $1.88 million