As expected, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince enjoyed a HUGE opening, and now sits atop the box office charts. The sixth installment of the moneymaking franchise earned a whopping $79.5 million over the weekend, and a total domestic gross of $160 million since opening on Wednesday.
Second place went to Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, which raked in another $17.7 million, while Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen held surprisingly strong with $13.8 million in revenue. Last weekend’s box office champ Bruno experienced a steep drop-off in ticket sales, and only managed to generate $8.37 million this time around.
The rest of the list looks more or less the same as it did last weekend.
Here’s the complete Top 10 at the box office for the weekend ending 7/19/09:
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $79.5 million
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, $17.7 million
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, $13.8 million
- Bruno, $8.37 million
- The Hangover, $8.31 million
- The Proposal, $8.29 million
- Public Enemies, $7.59 million
- Up, $3.15 million
- My Sister’s Keeper, $2.83 million
- I Love You, Beth Cooper, $2.67 million