I finally caved in to all the buzz, awards, and fantastic reviews and decided to start watching Breaking Bad. While the pilot didn’t immediately grab me, I stuck with it and managed to finish all 7 episodes of Season 1 within a few days. Since I watched the eps in such quick succession, I’m just going to post my general impressions of the entire season instead of going episode by episode.
- Why so many shots of Walter in his tighty-whities? Ugh.
- I love the relationship that is developing between Walter and Jesse. There are so many layers already, and I think things between them will get even more complex as the series chugs along.
- They’re clearly setting up Hank to be some kind of antagonist down the road. I’ve read some old message boards saying that Hank might be onto Walter already thanks to the missing items from the high school stockroom, but I don’t think so. Hank is so blustery and full of himself that he would NEVER give some nerd like Walter the credit for getting into the drug trade.
- That rolling lab is just screaming for a cop to pull it over. Walt and Jesse need to purchase one of the best steel buildings Canada has to offer and move their operation NORTH of the border to avoid detection!
- The wife is all kinds of annoying. Wow, I hate Skylar more than any other character on television right now. And this is not a “good” kind of hate, where her bitchiness actually serves some sort of purpose or something. She is just a waste of space and I really just want to skip every fucking scene that she is in.
- Oh, and speaking of Skylar, I hope she has the damn baby soon. I cannot stand looking at naked pregnant bellies. Some people might find that kind of thing “beautiful” or whatever, but I think it’s disgusting. As a woman with children, I think I’m entitled to have that opinion! It’s fine that she’s pregnant, but I just wish she would keep her damn clothes on!!!
- I was kind of surprised at how slowly the first season unfolded. It felt like very little happened in the first few episodes. I guess I expected Jesse and Walter to be cooking meth right from the get-go, but after the pilot, things petered out. That’s one of the things that sets this show apart. It foils expectations at nearly every turn.
- I’m surprised that Walter had it in him to kill someone. Yes, it was basically a kill or be killed situation, but up until the time he strangled Krazy 8 with a bicycle lock, he had just been a middle-aged high school teacher. Breaking bad indeed — and no going back from that!
- I like Walt Jr. and think he adds a lot to the show. Not all of the secondary characters are interesting, but he’s a good one.
- Wow, when Walt took on that Hisenberg persona and blasted Tuco’s office to hell, I was on the edge of my seat! What a badass move!! Then of course he gets into that shitty little car of his and drives away from the scene shaking like a leaf. Such wild juxtapositions in this show.
- Jesse and Wendy?? Ewwww. He’s a good-looking kid and I’m sure he could do MUCH BETTER than that meth-mouth skank. How nasty!
- Going into business with Tuco looks like a baaaad move. That unpredictable psycho is going to cause Walter and Jesse a lot of problems, I’m sure.
Obviously I haven’t covered everything, but these are the points that immediately come to mind when I think of Season 1. Oh, and you better believe I’m on board for Season 2!