Plot summary (from the studio): In the comedy American Reunion, all the American Pie characters we met a little more than a decade ago are returning to East Great Falls for their high-school reunion. In one long-overdue weekend, they will discover what has changed, who hasn’t and that time and distance can’t break the bonds of friendship.
It was summer 1999 when four small-town Michigan boys began a quest to lose their virginity. In the years that have passed, Jim and Michelle married while Kevin and Vicky said goodbye. Oz and Heather grew apart, but Finch still longs for Stifler’s mom. Now these lifelong friends have come home as adults to reminisce about—and get inspired by—the hormonal teens who launched a comedy legend.
Warning: Spoilers below!
- I liked Jim’s dad at Stifler’s party. Whenever some uptight person gets a few drinks in them and loosens up, I usually find it funny. I’m easy that way.
- Stifler’s realization that his party was lame was pretty good, too. He had the best lines and best reactions throughout the film — as usual.
- It was totally fitting that Stifler got together with Finch’s mother at the end. Great stuff!
- I loved that all the original actors were signed on to do this film (not like they have anything better going on, I guess). It’s always cool to see how they progressed from being regular high school kids with yomega yo-yos, plastic models, and other toys in their rooms to adults with wives, families, and responsibilities.
- A lot of the situations in this movie were just dumb. For example, when Jim and Michelle planned to have sex at Stifler’s party, did they really need to bring dumb outfits too? If they want to play dress-up in the privacy of their own home, that’s one thing. It’s quite another to be so stupid as to do it in a houseful of people.
- Stifler taking a dump in that beer cooler was totally disgusting. I don’t think bathroom “humor” is funny at all, and I think it’s weird that these characters seem to be able to take a dump on command like that. All I know is I’d never be able to execute that prank.
- What high school has a 13-year reunion???
- Finch was just as annoying as an adult as he was as a high school kid.
I had no illusions about what I would be getting from American Reunion, but it still managed not to meet my very low expectations. There were a few good parts and funny moments, but on the whole it was predictable, tired, and uninspired. I give it 2 stars out of 5.