Plot summary (from the studio): Bargain hunters at Forest Ridge Mall get more than they bargained for: a chubby flasher in a ratty bathrobe. They’re repulsed. Security guard Ronnie Barnhardt isn’t: “This disgusting pervert is the best thing that ever happened to me!” Catching the flasher may be his ticket to a real police job and to romance with a hot cosmetics-counter princess. Only one thing stands between Ronnie and destiny: a tall, handsome cop who actually knows what he’s doing.
Warning: Spoilers below!
- Out of all the characters in this movie, I think I liked Saddam (Aziz Ansari) the best. I thought his verbal spats with Ronnie were the funniest, and I guess the good feelings I have for the actor from Parks & Rec just carried over to this film.
- At under 90 minutes long, Observe and Report was blissfully short.
- Ronnie’s mental imbalance wasn’t funny…it was just stupid. For example, I know it was supposed to be oh-so-hilarious when he pulled his gun and blasted a hole in the flasher, but all I could think was WTF?? He should’ve gone to jail for that. Yeah, yeah…just a movie, I know. But still.
- Way to make me hate Anna Faris. Her character was particularly selfish and bitchy in a film full of assholes.
- There were few funny moments in a movie that was supposed to be a comedy. Even if you want to call it a dark comedy, there should at least be some humor involved.
I never expect comedies to be much, but I do want a bit of entertainment and fun. Observe and Report failed to provide either of those things. It had horrible characters, was poorly written, and delivered zero enjoyment. I give it 1 star out of 5.